Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Paddy's Pig[_5_] Paddy's Pig[_5_] is offline

Default Male goldfinch

"bobwilliams" wrote in message
Paddy's Pig wrote:

Yep!
Nyjer is just another name for thistle seeds.
It is expensive as hell but it does draw in Goldfinches.
After a feral cat in my neighborhood caught a few unsuspecting finches and
sparrows, I quit setting out food. I felt like a an accomplice.
Also saved a bunch of $$$$$
I still feed Hummers. The cat has given up in defeat vs the hummers.

Yeah. They're pretty attack-proof. My hummers don't even care when a hawk
is in the yard. One day I saw a hawk at the top of one of the palm
trees --- about 75 feet up. "Charley" (the self-crowned King of my Yard) ,
flew right up and buzzed around him in a sort of leisurely pace. He sort of
orbited around him a few times then hung in front of his face like maybe he
was saying "Hi Mr. Hawk. I'm Charley. What's yours?"

The hawk remained aloof and chose not to reply and attempted to ignore him.
After a while Charley decided the hawk was no fun at all so he came back
down to yard level and resumed his screwing off, seemingly oblivious of that
grumpy ******* up in the tree.
--
Pat Durkin