Old 26-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Epidendrum after-flowering care

Larry Dighera writes:
Wet clay pots are considerably heaver than plastic pots. Because they
dry-out faster than plastic, you can use a larger size clay pot for
the same size root mass and achieve similar results. There is also
the possibility of using the increased weight of terracota-pellet
media to assist in stabilizing, but being characterized as
terrestrial, reed-stem Epidendrums may not thrive so readily in it.

Right. I will try to get a clay pot with a bit of extra height and
fill the bottom with rocks, then. That should also increase the
availability of air to the roots.

That sounds like a good plan. It will result in a tidier looking
plant. But, if you're more interested in growing a large specimen
plant in a minimum amount of time, I would not remove any live tissue,
with the possible exception of the flower spike above the point where
leaves cease.

I am mostly interested in having it stay the same size, bit looking
tidier. My living room can only take a limited number of orchids of
that size.

Thanks for the answers.

Geir