Old 14-10-2010, 12:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.scenic
Wolf K[_2_] Wolf K[_2_] is offline

Default Topeka KS - E.F.A. Reinisch Memorial Rose Garden - July 12 -IMG_0618a-Reinisch_Memorial_Rose_Garden.jpg [0/1]

On 13/10/2010 17:19, Kilgore Trout wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]
Well, that's surprising. MT-Newswatcher usually decodes anything with
no problem.

But Dave Moorman reports he can't see them as images, and he's using
"MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.3b3 (Intel Mac OS X)"

I see one odd thing, Gravity is adding these lines to the header,
even though I've selected UUENCODE:

Precisely. It shouldn't be encoding the images as plain text. The post
should be sent as a two part message: part one a text message (which can
be blank), and part two as a MIME (or UU-)encoded *.jpg file. Gravity
doesn't seem to be doing that. Maybe if you select MIME, Gravity will
send the message correctly. MIME was developed after UUEncode, because
UUEncode is not a good method of encoding binary files. Or so I
understand it.

Gravity can see and download these just fine.

Well, sure, it's the one that's _sending_ these messages in plain text.
Why, I don't know. IMO, there is a standards violation here. We are
(once again) faced with the consequences of freebie-writers ignoring
standards because they "know a better way".

TBird sees:

begin 755 IMG_0619a-Reinisch_Memorial_Rose_Garden.jpg
Etc.

IMO, Gravity and other readers that are seeing these as images are in
fact using an external viewer (eg, the default system viewer.) If I Save
As a *.jpg file (instead of an *.eml file), I can see the image using
PMView. So I could Save As the whole lot, and then chcek them in PMView,
but I'd really rather see them in TBird as intended.

HTH
wolf k.