Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Adjusting RO water

"Bob A" wrote in message ...
I have well-water and it is totally ruined with nitrates, nitrites, and
probably other chemicals due to living next door to a poultry farm, and also
land that has been treated with bad farming chemicals. I have been going
five miles to get water and carrying it inside.

Depending on the geology and confining layers, the source may not be
from the farm at all. It's unlikely there's much NO2. If you have a
confining layer separating the water, it will not contaminate your
deeper well(Hopefully) but it depends on the permibility of
rock/clay/loam/sand etc. Wastewater from farms should be controlled
like the sewage that it is.

You can hit good sources of water and poor sources within the same
well at different depths. If there is inflow from the farm, I'd see
what you can do about their pollution of your resource and if it can
be traced to their farm.

I would not drink the water.

But NO3 in the tap is mainly an issue for you, not the plants, you
simply will not use KNO3 after a large water change, you'll add more
K2SO4 and KH2PO4.
If the total N is 10-15ppm or higher, I'd not drink the water. 10ppm
of so is about 44 ppm of NO3. Doing a 25% weeklt water change would
add about 10ppm to your tank. You'll still need to add some more KNO3
about mid week.

Regards,
Tom Barr