Old 26-05-2011, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Dwarf Tomato Issues

On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:33:15 +0000, brgsstm
wrote:

Hi.

First of all I need to let you know that I know nothing about
gardening/growing. I'm giving it a go though

I live in an apartment with 2 South facing windows so all my growing is
indoors on a windowsill.

I assume you are in the northern hemisphere, how many hours per day of
sun will they get? If none or only an hour or two your success is
going to be very limited. Fruiting plants should get full sun (all
day) ideally.

I have been trying to grow some dwarf tomato plants from seed on one of
my windows for a few weeks now. There are 5 plants in a 20 inch long
tray that is about 6 inches deep. Initially things looked good but
recently things have taken a turn for the worse.

Firstly the leaves at the base of the plant shrivelled and died. I
thought at first that this may be as they are no longer needed?

http://tinyurl.com/3qm5fey

A few day's later I noticed some brown spots of dried leaf on one of the
plants. The others still looked healthy so I ignored it. Was this my
mistake?

http://tinyurl.com/3s5memo

They don't look that bad.

This morning it's not looking good for them. Every plant has started to
shrivel and I am absolutely gutted

http://tinyurl.com/3djmh48

http://tinyurl.com/3gjnfll

I've seen better but it isn't the end of the world.

I have been watering them daily with quite a lot of water. Could this
be the issue? I have been adding plant food to the water too. I also
have sprayed the leaves with the plant food infused water too. I'm
beginning to think that wasn't a good idea?

Slow down. They need even watering but do not want to be constantly
wet or waterlogged. Don't over do the fertiliser either, you can
quickly kill them with too much.

David