Old 26-05-2011, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Help me rescue my new lawn

garden_gal2 wrote:
Hi all
Bit new to this so any help appreciated.

I had new turf laid in my garden on Monday. It looked amazing at
first, so pleased with the result!

However, we have had very hot dry weather since and despite watering,
I think part of the lawn may now have died. When I returned home from
work yesterday (having watered for 2 hours the night before) two of
the turf 'slabs' were a different colour from the others, looking
straw-like and an odd blueish shade of green. They felt really dry. I
watered it for a further two-and-a-bit hours focusing mainly on these
areas, but this morning the discolouration was still there

My mistake may have been waiting until dusk to water (as the gardener
told me to do this to avoid scorching) or possibly a faulty sprinkler
- I'm not sure it has covered all areas. However my neighbours did not
water on the first day at all (we both had the turf laid on monday)
and their still looks in better shape.

Has the turf died or can I revive it somehow with more watering? I'm
so worried about it as this was an expensive and long-awaited project
and I can't believe I've ruined it so quickly. Please help!

Fresh sod will have shallow roots. Watering for hours will just waste water. Set
up timers to water lightly a couple times during hot days, just enough to keep
it from drying out while it develops roots into the soil. Ease off on the
watering on cool days or as it toughens up, gradually switching over to weekly
heavier waterings.