Old 26-05-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Cat deterrent

On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:39:35 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

If anyone comes up with practical solutions to deter cats AND foxes
(other than John Peel or high velocity Lead solutions) I'd be
interested to hear.

I'm not against either in principle, but I'm fed up with the
excavations in and the cr@p on the lawn. The illegitimi manage to get
their noses and/or paws through all of the defences that I've
established to date.

I tried extra hot Chilli powder. Apparently neither cats nor foxes
are deterred by chemically hot food. May have to try putting out bait
annointed with Pure Cap, just to see if they're hard enough.

Tomorrow may be fun if the weather hangs out, one of my composters
appears to be harbouring rats - too big to be mice. I need some
organic material in a new bed, recently excavated from lawn. If I
empty it, the foxes may take the rodents, giving my lawn a break.

Regards
JonH