Old 26-05-2011, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Scale insects

On 26/05/2011 10:02, Ann Lancing wrote:

I have scale insects on a cultivated blackberry. The infestation was so
bad that I cut out all the stems.
Will it come back with the new shoots, if so how can I kill them?

I have a large (2 x 3m) Pittosporum tobira on a SW-facing wall which was
heavily infested with scale insect last year. All the leaves under the
scale insects were covered in "soot" which could not be removed
completely, even with a high-pressure water spray or rubbing with a soap
solution. In the end I cut off the branches which were worst affected.

In mid-March I sprayed with Plant Rescue and watered with a systemic
insecticide (Provado2, IMMSMC). So far so good, I think - but it is not
that easy to tell a live scale insect from a recently dead one!

--

Jeff