Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Maroochy[_3_] Maroochy[_3_] is offline

Default Kew Gardens 8.2.2011

Bob Hobden wrote:

When was that? My Grandfather was publican at the Brown Bear in Kew
Road just by the railway station in the mid to late 1800s. (it's no
longer there)

Well there you go...My grandfather's family owned the Star & Garter from
1822-1864. I think it was grandpa's great grandfather and grandfather who
owned the hotel. I get a bit confused once things get past the first great
in the family line. :-)
We don't like the Underground much either although the statistics say
it's quite safe. Unfortunately people in large cities tend to be
impolite IME, I think it's the pressure and pace they live under.

Oh indeed, it was quite an eye opener for me, coming from a small regional
town, where we're all pretty much laid back.
This is in no way a criticism, but what I found very disconcerting, was the
lack of eye contact.

May I suggest staying outside London. :-)

Heh, on my next trip I will, but the whole purpose of my last trip was to
take in London, something I have wanted to do since I was a child. I was
happy staying where I did, as I was once a very avid reader of Georgette
Heyer books and all the places around me, were where her books were set. :-)

Chelsea Flower Show is terribly expensive even for RHS members, add
that to the cost of travel and food and drink and it's serious money.
Then it's so crowded you can't see gardens etc as well as you can on
the TV. Hampton Court Flower show is better IMO.

Thanks for that info, that's something to remember when planning my next
trip.