Old 27-05-2011, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Cat deterrent

Jake wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:39:35 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards
up and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat
toilet. It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with
turned earth on it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass
lawns. Now I know why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried
netting the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've
tried timber laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

For about 18 years, like you I swore daily! I've tried just about
every solution known to man (or woman) - electric deterrents (the cats
curl up around them), lion dung (deterred me but not the cats), sticks
soaked in Renardine (no longer available and didn't work anyway) to
name a few. The only partial success was with a device that sprayed
water whenever its PIR was triggered. That seemed to scare off the
cats but the postman didn't like it at all!

Then one of the formerly offending cats decided to move from a few
doors down the road. I now have to feed him and all that but since he
moved in, the problem has disappeared completely. And the joke is that
whilst he's now trained to a litter tray, if he can't get to it he
goes back to his former home to do the biz. It may help that he's a
very dominant male (though snipped twice if you know what I mean) and
when he's on patrol all the other cats run away.

So go and get yourself a strong tom cat from the local cat's rehoming
centre.

Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as fierce at
seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see another cat in the
garden, it's running at top speed to get through the "enemy territory".

Ian