Old 27-05-2011, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Rain water barrels

On May 27, 2:07*am, David Hare-Scott wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 14:55:41 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:
Message I posted a while ago didn't get through. * I was asking (I
think NAD) what he/she put in the barrels to keep the water from
getting contaminated or breeding mosquitoes w/o harming plants that
drank that water.

Anybody?

HB

Keeping the roof and roof plumbing clean and the tanks screened works
for me and I drink it. *there is no need to start with poisons if
physical barriers work. *

Here in New York City the Parks Department gives out free rain
barrels. They have lids into which your downspout can be fitted, and
overflow valves.

It's also illegal to have any open container on your property that can
collect water. I got a ticket for having a puddle in a tire in my
yard. That, btw, was instituted after we started getting West Nile
Fever here.

Chris