Old 27-05-2011, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Question about fertilizers.

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Chicken and rabbit manure can be toxic to plants, as can alfalfa
meal,
or fish emulsion, if not added according to directions. Concentration
is
everything.

Agreed.

Are you suggesting that there is too much salt in chook poo, and that
is
why it can burn plants?

It's bleedingly obvious that he's not saying that. Your strawman is
silly.

Fran, Booby, first David said that the cause of fertilizer burning was
concentrated salts.

Yes he said that (amongst other things).

Then he asks me,"How do you know there are no salts
in lucerne meal?"

This I found to be clever and, simultaneously, a sinister attempt at
miss direction as I wasted time trying to look-up salt contents of
plants, instead of working in the garden. (Why is David so un-American?
Oh, right, he's from over the rain-bow ;O) Anyway, what's a boot to the
groin among us gardeners?

Yes he also asked you that too.

The ONLY cause of fertilizer burn that David addressed
was salt (any freakin' kind of salt). To what do you ascribe the ability
of chook poo to burn plants? Hmmmm?

Sigh. I don't know and I don't care either. I've never yet burned any
plant with chicken poop, and that is whether I've taken a pile of it
straight from under the night perch or just used yard scrapings.

And I'll bet David or you haven't burned plants with chook poop either.

My beef was about the introduction of the strawman when it is obvious that
David was talking about concentrations of manure. It is because we
understand concentrations that we haven't burned anything despite decades of
gardening. Strawmen are becoming a bete noir with me as seemingly they are
becoming the new vogue all over usenet - I'm beginning to think the origin
of it must result from infected water or some viral disease.

Don't you just love a good conspiracy? ;O) Although I must admit some
confusion as to the strawman (C'est qui?). David addressed the burning
abilities of chemical fertilizers (they're salts), but he didn't speak
to organic fertilizers. I tried to fill the gap by questioning the salt
content of organic fertilizers, and riposting with the phytotoxic
effects of ammonia.

Sadly, I have burned plants with chook-poo, but not for some great time
now as I've become frugal in my application of it (18lb/100sq.ft.). I've
also managed to burn plants (squash) with coffee grounds :O(any salts
should have been long gone), go figure. I've since restricted the use of
fresh coffee grounds to potatoes and blue berries.

Always nice chatting you up. Here's hoping that your bête noirs don't
become nuits blanches ;O)
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/