Old 27-05-2011, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Question about fertilizers.

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:26:20 -0400, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

I've got burn questions about fertilizers.

I've got a lot of old liquid fish mixes and micro nutrients , From my
hydroponics . I used them last year in my outdoor soil garden . The
bottles
of fish mix say they wont burn. One is 5-1-1 and the Alaska starter
fish
mix is 2-1-1 . I know they are only 100 % ground fish mixed with water
, It
looks like syrup and stinks. Last year my garden did very good on it. I
put
about a half a shot glass with about 2 gallons of water and hand water
the
plants. Maybe three times for the summer. My soil was N deficient.

Just so you know .It wont burn. No matter what. Or how much.

What's the reason some fertilizers wont burn,. Is it just because its
dead
fish. Or natural or something. And if it wont burn, Why isn't non
burning
fertilizers available in the big stores.

What else could be used as non burning fertilizers?

Thanks

Diesel.

Fertiliser burn is caused by high concentrations of soluble salts,
typically this is nitrogen salts because they are found in most
fertilisers and they are very soluble but you could get the same from
say potassium salts.

The dehydrating effects of salts (chemical fertilizers) are well known
and not restricted to fertilizer salts. It is also for this reason best
to avoid chemferts, because salts have a deleterious effect on soil
organisms and ecology. Regardless of what Wikipedia says, fertilizer
burn with organic fertilizers comes from the pH raising effects of
ammonia, which is released as the proteins in the organic material
breaks down. (I was able to quite handily fry some potted plants with
alfalfa [lucerne] meal quiet easily, no salts necessary.)

Chicken and rabbit manure can be toxic to plants, as can alfalfa meal,
or fish emulsion, if not added according to directions. Concentration is
everything.

Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4
P .80 .15 .30 .30 1.4
K .50 .25 .60 .40 .60

Manure Sheep Alfalfa Fish Emulsion
N .70 3 5
P .30 1 1
K .90 2 1

The burning is not specifically related to natural versus synthetic,
you can burn plants easily with manure straight from the chicken which
is about as natural as you can get. The reason that it is common with
synthetic, store bought, fertilisers is that they are highly
concentrated having little or no fibre or water (unlike natural
fertilisers) and they are mostly or entirely soluble, so it is very
easy to over dose.

If you want a no-burn fertiliser get a horse. On the other hand pay
close attention to the content of whatever you are applying and don't
exceed the recommended rate of application. If your soil is very
deficient it will be less risky to apply several small doses several
weeks apart through the growing season rather than one big one.

Its not very deficient. All I wanted to know is why this stuff dont
burn.
And why isnt it commonly used.
Because it jump starts whatever I use it on.
bigtime.

If you add it "neat", it will burn your plants. Dilution is the
important factor. Conventional wisdom has it that if something is good,
more must be better . . . . NOT. The benefits from fish emulsion come
from many bi-monthly feedings of your plant. Pouring a jug of it on your
plant, and calling it good for the season, wouldn't be the same thing:O(

(concentration #1)(volume #1) = (concentration #2)(volume #2)

The above formula, disregarding the obvious joke, allows you to adjust
the concentration, if you know the original concentration, you can
figure the volume to which it needs to be diluted to arrive at a desired
lower concentration. It will work with dry manures as well, if you use
weight instead of volumes.

Overcast with more rain predicted for tomorrow.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/