Old 28-05-2011, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter squash or pumpkin?

In another thread a ref was given:

Wiki also says "In Australian English, the name 'pumpkin' generally
refers to the broader category called winter squash in North America."

I had heard that before but didn't want to confuse things even more.
it looks like I need to sort it out.

For the record I am in Australia and these are pumpkins in our
dialect:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ewPumpkins.jpg

Would these be called winter squash or pumpkin in the US?

We don't have 'winter squash' by that name. To me a squash is a
cucurbit that is soft-skinned and picked immature, zucchini is a
squash but they come in other shapes and sizes, like button squash
(pattypan) and crookneck. The skin is green, yellow, near black or
orange. The flesh is usually pale greenish and translucent and they
don't keep very well outside refrigeration, they generally don't have
creases. I think you would call these summer squash. So let us leave
these aside for now.

To me a pumpkin is a cucurbit that is picked mature, has a hard skin
and keeps well outside refrigeration, the flesh is usually yellow to
orange and opaque. The skin is yellow, orange, grey, blue-grey or
some combination when ripe. They generally have creases running
longitudinally. Examples are Queensland blue and the above JAP (Just
Another Pumpkin).

So in the USA how do you distinguish pumpkins from winter squash? Is
pumpkin a subset of winter squash or are some pumpkins not also winter
squash?

Is there any correspondence between the different common names and the
species of cucurbit?

What about the Banter People, what is a pumpkin in Old Blighty?

David