Old 28-05-2011, 09:05 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle[_1_] View Post

Your suggestions are too big for the garden, and will soon enough have
to be removed, which is OK, but a hassle. I'd be inclined to put in
two dwarf (M9) apple trees of different varieties: for blossom they're
among the very best flowering trees, and you get something to eat into
the bargain. That's what I've done in my own small garden. Boring in
winter, though. Or maybe one food apple and one fancy crab, if you
want something more deliberately and outrageously decorative. But I
don't think there's a crab variety which will finish up less than
about 4m tall; if there is, people in this group will know.

--
Mike.
I agree that a british silver birch will grow far too large, but some of the other species will grow much more slowly. They will eventually get too large, but I think you'd get 15-20 years out of them.

Something like Sorbus Joseph Rock will grow tall but not too wide, and I have a pink berried Sorbus which is still tiny after 10 years. And there are small cherries too, not just the ubiquitous Amanagawa.

Red Jade is a weeping crab - mine is 2m after 15 years. But totally wrong for here - what it lacks in height it makes up in width. Also, while it's stunning in blossom, the crabs are about pea sized.

For winter interest one could look at a snake bark maple or Prunus serrula - both on the basis that they might need to be removed later on.