Old 28-05-2011, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Smallish garden: 2 similar trees or 2 contrasts?

On May 27, 5:09*pm, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2011 10:43:49 +0000, miljee

wrote:

Hi

I have a 12m x 6m suburban garden. In the back left corner there's a
concrete hard standing (old wendy house base?), 2.5m x 3m which I am
going to pave and make into a plant patio (ie no table/chairs, just my
potted hosta collection).

A paved path runs from the house to the patio, bounding a 1m wide garden
bed to its left.

I want to put in 2 trees, one to the left and one to the right of the
hard standing, obviously suitably spaced away from the boundary fence
and the patio itself. They need to have an upright habit and not grow
too big and overwhelming.

Should I pick two identical trees; 2 similar trees or 2 contrasting
trees?

Currently we are looking at birch, small mountain ash, cherry - but
other suggestions welcome.

My 'fear' regarding contrasting trees is are we trying to cram too much
variety into what is a small garden? BUT would 2 very similar trees look
boring?!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Your suggestions are too big for the garden, and will soon enough have
to be removed, which is OK, but a hassle. I'd be inclined to put in
two dwarf (M9) apple trees of different varieties: for blossom they're
among the very best flowering trees, and you get something to eat into
the bargain. That's what I've done in my own small garden. Boring in
winter, though. Or maybe one food apple and one fancy crab, if you
want something more deliberately and outrageously decorative. But I
don't think there's a crab variety which will finish up less than
about 4m tall; if there is, people in this group will know.

--
Mike.- Hide quoted text -

Just a thought.
Bill the trees impact on neighbours?
Block sunlight to their gardens. Overhang their gardens, etc?