Old 28-05-2011, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Winter squash or pumpkin?

Billy wrote:

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2011 21:35:28 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
David Hare-Scott wrote:

In another thread a ref was given:

Wiki also says "In Australian English, the name 'pumpkin' generally
refers to the broader category called winter squash in North America."

I had heard that before but didn't want to confuse things even more.
it looks like I need to sort it out.

But then where do the candyroasters and cushaws fit in?

I have no idea please elucidate.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

I don't understand 90% of that- but I think Billy nailed it.

I'm surprised that I can't find a site with all [or even a few] the
subspecies of cucurbita listed with their proper names.

The 2 Steve listed are a Cucurbita maxima, and Cucurbita mixta, but
C.m. -- ?what?- Linnaeus went through all that trouble to
categorize stuff, and now we're too busy trying to call something what
people will buy and not enough keeping them in their proper place so
all of us folks who speak different languages [USAian, Australian,
English, etc] can understand each other.

BTW- The 'Blue Australian Pumpkin' is listed as a Morcheta- so that's
3 categories of Cucurbita represented so far. [the cushaw is known as
a pumpkin in some places-- so mixta is spoken for too, sort of]

Jim