Old 28-05-2011, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Winter squash or pumpkin?

On Fri, 27 May 2011 21:35:28 -0400, "Steve
wrote:

"Jim wrote in message
David wrote:

In another thread a ref was given:

Wiki also says "In Australian English, the name 'pumpkin' generally
refers to the broader category called winter squash in North America."

I had heard that before but didn't want to confuse things even more.
it looks like I need to sort it out.

But then where do the candyroasters and cushaws fit in?

I have no idea please elucidate.

Can't answer your general question but I've grown pumpkins and butternut
squash. I once made a pumpkin pie from butternut squash that was
indistinguishable in taste from a pumpkin pie. Apparently the spices
overwhelm the taste of either type squash.