Old 28-05-2011, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Winter squash or pumpkin?

Go to www.rareseeds.com and have a look at their squash/pumpkin section.
They have the largest selection of specimens for sale that I've ever seen.
The cucurbit group crossbreeds very easily. There are hundreds of different
"pumpkins" because the "squashes were one of the earliest vegetables
domesticated. In the book "Lost Crops of the Inca" evidence of "crooknecks"
was noted as far back as 3000BC.

I apologize, David, I was being a bit facetious. We truly are peoples
divided by a common language.

Steve
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 May 2011 21:35:28 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
. ..
David Hare-Scott wrote:

In another thread a ref was given:

Wiki also says "In Australian English, the name 'pumpkin' generally
refers to the broader category called winter squash in North America."

I had heard that before but didn't want to confuse things even more.
it looks like I need to sort it out.

But then where do the candyroasters and cushaws fit in?

I have no idea please elucidate.