Old 28-05-2011, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Cat deterrent

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:06:49 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Peter James wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards
up and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat
toilet. It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with
turned earth on it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass
lawns. Now I know why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried
netting the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've
tried timber laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

I researched the problem thoroughly and the last option is to try
pepper dust and another pwder that claims to be better at deterring
cats. If all else fails then I'm buying a small batterey operated
electric fencer. It works off torch batteries and will energise
sufficient fencer wire to make the front and rear garden cat proof.
The total cost will be in the region of £60. But job done.

As an ex farm machinery and sundries salesman I know enough about
fencers to ensure this will work.
Once done I'll report back to the NG.

If a small child touches the fence you could be in trouble.

The simple solution to this is to place wooden boards to a distance of one
meter either side of the electric fence, with upwards pointing 6" nails
spaced around 1-2" apart in a grid. This will allow access to the fence to
cats, dogs, birds etc while probably deterring a small child. And if not, at
least the child is held conveniently in place until the parents can come to
collect it.

Ian