Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Christopher Beeckler

Default multipart question: planted malawi cichlid tank

I have anubias (one huge one and one little one), java fern, crypts (2), and
an amazon sword

could I be giving too much light for the anubias?

are there any other fish that might do a good job of eating the rough green
algae that my pleco, 4SAEs, and 3 CAEs don't touch?
I'm going to try to run the tank for a few weeks at 10 hours light a day and
see if that cuts the algae down, as it is only a problem on the glass and
the anubias leaves

I do water changes when I vacuum which is every 45 days or so

I just got a topaz puffer/congo puffer/spotted green puffer (Tetraodon
Schoutedeni) to control the snails so they should be going away soon...but
otherwise they looked healthy...some getting to be pea sized

from what I read CO2 injection keeps the tank at a pH of low 7, which would
be 1.5 units lower than it is now, probably not very good for my fish

The holes in the leaves of my anubias are on the old and new leaves, but
more specifically I just got the amazon sword 2 weeks ago and it seemed like
a few days after I put it in the tank, little short 1/2" "tears" appeared
the leaves like maybe average of one or two on each big leaf. My jungle
vals seem to be always missing parts out of the sides of their grass like
blades...sometimes a long ~25" blade will be missing 75% of the width of the
blade half way up, so its like someone took a bite out of the side of it and
the whole thing stayed attached.

What are the consequences of over liquid fertalizing the tank? I've just
been following the florapride instructions on the back...once a month. What
should I up it to? I have a pH buffer in the tank and cichlid salt in the
tank...what would make you suspect calcium as the lacking element? what
should I do to replace it? What fertalizer would you recommend as a more
complete one than florapride (remember I do have a laterite layer under the
gravel).

"LeighMo" wrote in message
1) what can I do to control the algae?

Shade the anubias, or reduce your lighting.

2) do I have too much/too little light?

Depends on what kind of plants you have. Anubias don't need much light at

all.

3) should I get C02 injection?

Not if all you have is anubias. They grow so slowly CO2 injection doesn't

help
them much. And CO2 injection will lower your pH, which might not be

desirable
in a Malawi tank.

4) should I adjust my photoperiod more? (the tank gets additional light

when
my roomates leave the lights on at all hours of the night, but those are
compact florescent bulbs for our living room so it shouldn't be providing
the right spectrum for plant growth)

Room lights shouldn't cause algae in your tank. Don't go less than ten

hours a
day with the tank lights.

5) what can I do to control the holes (some look like burns) and wilting?

It sounds like some kind of deficiency. I would say calcium, but that

seems
unlikely in a Malawi tank. At any rate, adding Tetra Florapride once a

month
probably isn't enough. I added it weekly when I kept a low-light Anubias

tank.
And if you have other kinds of plants in the tank, you may need to add it

more
often than that.

You also might have to use a more complete fertilizer. IME, Tetra

Florapride
and frequent water changes will keep Anubias happy, but other plants may

be
more demanding.

How often do you do water changes? And what other plants are in the tank?

Are
the snails healthy?

And what kind of snails are they? They might be eating your plants, but

they
won't make them twisted or "desicated." Are the holes in the old or new
leaves?

Leigh