Old 29-05-2011, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Bee-keeping; potential nuisance to neighbours?

On 29 May 2011 09:48:47 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al

Have just phoned someone who keeps bees. He says the direct
legislation relates mainly to bee welfare but there's a lot of
"indirect" stuff to cope with such as neighbours complaining of a
nuisance, liability if someone gets stung and suffers a fit as a
result and children are a particular issue. The one stong warning he
gives is that you have somewhere to relocate a hive if necessary - he
says some colonies go bad and need to be got well away from people
quickly. You cannot, apparently, kill a bad colony simply because it
goes bad (that's direct legislation!)

He suggests that you contact your local beekeepers association for
advice, particularly about spacing the hives out, rather than simply
trust a beekeeper. If the bees are in your garden, you will have some
liability for their welfare and for the consequences of their being
there. Speak to your neighbours and get them on-board (pointing out
that bees are helpful as they pollinate flowers and vegetables). Then
take out liability insurance (he does this through the Beekeepers
Association - www.bbka.org.uk - as part of a liability and hive
protection policy and it's dirt cheap). Finally, a fence about 6 feet
high erected around the hives will get the bees flying high rather
than into people.

He says loads of people keep bees in urban environments without any
problems 12 feet away from neighbours rather than 12 metres - they
stick the hive on a flat garage roof so they're high up. His hives are
in a paddock which he keeps as a wildflower meadow and he says there
is little activity on flowers near the hives as the bees prefer to fly
much further to forage.

I would add advice that you have a written agreement with the
beekeeper which includes a provision that he must move his hives
immediately if you require him to do so (e.g. in response to a
nuisance complaint that could develop into something more serious for
you).

Hope this helps. Must be honest, it sounds more complicated than just
watching Bill Turnbull occasionally tending his bees on Breakfast!
I've noticed a lot more bee activity in the garden this year; if your
neighbours are keen gardeners they will hopefully welcome your new
tenants as much as I would.

Cheers

Jake