Old 29-05-2011, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default urg on GardenSAlley.com (was Weed free garden anyone?)

On 2011-05-29 13:52:01 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sun, 29 May 2011 Sacha wrote:

And, more importantly, posts to urg have been altered by someone
malicious to my certain knowledge, especially those relating to the
charter.

Can you give an example?

David

Here it is. I think it shows the mischief that can be done by
malicious postings appearing to emanate from urg or its members but I
have no idea if this is the only example because I haven't gone
hunting. Read the paras from Binaries onwards:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united...gardening.html

This seems to be a case of someone taking a URG post and reposting a
new version rather than altering an existing post. Little can be done
to stop that - it's a fact of life. Just as, in a few minutes, I could
easily start posting to this group as Mike and unless people knew what
to look for in header fields, poor Mike would suffer the rebound!

I've just been looking through GB and GA. If the "welcome" message is
changed, it won't affect GB much as there's a "sticky" post of the
former "abc" titled message from 2003 right at the top of the message
list. You have to scroll down to find the more recent ones. People
probably won't do that. The "sticky" links to the original charter
wording though another link to demon is now broken. How one updates a
"sticky" on GB I don't know.

More sort of worryingly for me, there are a load of posts in both GB
and GA that I am not seeing in Agent. Ditto, the lists in GB and GA
are not necessarily complete and propagation seems inconsistent.

Example - a thread by Moonraker (Be Careful What You Wish For) with a
response from Martin appears on Garden Alley but not Garden Banter (or
in my Agent for that matter) but there are messages on Banter timed
after the time of Martin's post to Alley.

OTOH, I can't find this thread on Banter or Alley! Then nowhere can I
find two posts I made over an hour ago.

Now I wonder how much I'm not getting through my news service
(Giganews)! But that's another matter for me to sort with my provider.

Jake

This matter has been discussed on urg before when people have got irate
about their postings being pinched by gardenbanter etc.

Well there are two answers.

1) ""If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"". If you don't
like your posts being transferred to GB, don't post

and

2) Start your own forum where people have to subscribe to be members, you
then have control over the nasties, AND, post a warning as a stickie that
any post re-posted on ANY OTHER forum or newsgroup and you will sue.

Simple

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.