Old 29-05-2011, 11:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default Great Blue Problem

On 5/7/2011 7:03 AM, Jim wrote:
This morning not all the food was eaten in my berm breeding pond. I
wondered. Later, when I went out, a GBH flew away. I hope the fish
are scared rather than gone! I will begin a southern counter stalk
for the heron. Choice between fish and heron is not hard.

I bought a metal heron sculpture at a garden show this spring that I
placed out by my pond. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall. I'd had problems with
GBH in the past but I've not seen one near the pond since placing the
yard art out there. I think GBHs are pretty solitary birds. Maybe they
think that one has already staked out my pond so they go elsewhere.