Old 29-05-2011, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Bee-keeping; potential nuisance to neighbours?

"AL_n" wrote

Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and a
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I
could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

When one of our allotment holders wanted to start keeping bees most of us
were delighted but the Council made them contact all the allotment holders
on the site in writing to ask if they had any objections and if any were
allergic to stings. They also demanded a 6ft high fence be put around the
hives to make the bees fly up above head height.
So I would think it a good idea if you wrote to all neighbours and asked the
same and also demand a similar fence be put around the hive area.
Our own garden at home can be fraught as a local bee keeper has hives in the
vicarage about 100 yards away and our pond is the nearest water so we have a
constant stream of bees back and forth and unfortunately they come in quite
low. You just have to remember to keep out of the flight line.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden