Old 29-05-2011, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Slug trouble ... but not in the garden!!

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:17:35 +0100, "Eurofeeds"
wrote:

Slug trouble ... but not in the garden!!
We have slug trails across the lounge and kitchen floor every morning
(haven't seen one in the garden for ages). No idea where they're coming
in -
any thoughts anyone?

There are slugs that will live indoors if the conditions are right.
They can actually be useful in indicating a problem such as damp. I've
traced a trail back to a bit of skirting in someone's house and then
found that there's damp behind it. So it's always worth checking for
that.

Otherwise, they like kitchens (there are usually gaps to get behind
the kick boards or under the units) and they lie low in the day and
come out at night to feast.

Non damp-sorting solutions are clean up, particularly under the dining
table! Don't leave pet food down overnight and give the kitchen a good
clean, particularly removing kick boards if you can and getting under
units. You may actually find the culprit (good chance it's only one!).

Then if you have no pets or children, or can keep them out of the
rooms, put some slug pellets down around the trail "ends". Make sure
all pellets are removed in the morning before pets or children can
access the areas. Sweep them up onto something and then reuse them in
the night. With luck you'll sort the problem within a week. If it
persists longer, then damp becomes a more likely issue.

Some people suggest salt but that's messy and is unlikely to catch the
blighters - they'll recoil from it and take another route.

I have found that putting salt on a slug kills it!

Alan