Old 29-05-2011, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Black fly, broad beans and washing up liquid

Jake wrote:
snip

That said, here I have yet (this year) to see any black, white or
green flies. Scratches head strongly and gets splinter. This morning I
saw my first ant of the year. Must take myself to an optician,
methinks. It's just that, honestly, I haven't seen any of these bugs
(including ants) yet. No ant-hills in the lawn either, which I would
expect by now.

My rose cuttings were found by some greenfly, but paradoxically not the full
grown bushes a few yards away. Maybe the greenfly are developing a sense of
discernment and only going for the freshest young plants.

Ian