Old 30-05-2011, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will you be gardening 10 years from now?

On 5/29/11 8:44 PM, Chris wrote:
OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Chris

In 10 years, I will be 80. I hope to putter, but I strongly doubt
whether I will climb my hill to tend my grape vines. Even today, when I
reach the top of the hill, I have to take a few minutes to catch my
breath. The hill is more steep than the county's current grading codes
allow; I can stand on the top and inspect the roof of my two-story house.

In 10 years, I am unlikely to still be pruning my peach tree or mock
orange (Pittosporum tobira) bushes. I don't know if I will be able to
drag my 75-foot hose around the yard.

That does NOT mean I am unconcerned about climate change. I am very
concerned because I have grandchildren, and I want them to have
grandchildren.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean