Old 30-05-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Multi Purpose Compost

On May 30, 11:24*am, Dave Poole wrote:
Sacha *wrote:
That's not compost though. *That's soil improver, if that.

And highly variable too *:-| *I've seen some that is OK, but I've also
seen other stuff that is truly 'crap' and not fit for anything. *As
for growing on plants in containers, if you aren't particular about
the quality of what you're growing then go for the cheapest potting
compost you can find. *If you want to grow a really good plant that
performs well and makes the effort of growing it worthwhile, then you
need to either make a well-balanced compost or buy a decent one. *The
latter is the least expensive and easiest option.

All multi-purpose composts 'run out of steam' after 6-8 weeks, so they
need to be supplemented after that, but reluctantly I have to admit
that the best all rounder is the B&Q multi-purpose. *It has beat the
others in trials by Garden Which? for 2 years running and I like its
open, airy, root-promoting texture. *I use it as a base, adding
perlite and slow release for certain plants and use it 'neat' for
others. *I've never had anything other than very good results.

B&Q's multi pourpous compost has been the Which best but for around 10
years now.
I pass it through a 1/2 inch seive and mix pearlite at 1 to 8 for
seeds and cuttings, I add some fertilizer for potting on and for
larger stuff I add 20% steralized topsoil (With thanks to the moles
who prepare it for me).
B&Q are around 3 miles from me and they have 1 to 2 artic loads of
compost a week so I know it is always fresh.
I buy around 8 bales at a time (on a Wednesday, so I get the 10%
discount),
It saves me storage space and I don't have to lay out cash in advance.
I tried their Peat free compost last year and it was impure rubbish.
David Hill