Old 30-05-2011, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bookworm Bookworm is offline

Default Multi Purpose Compost

On May 30, 8:41*am, harry wrote:
On May 28, 7:07*am, mrcpea wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good quality Multi Purpose Compost other than
J. Arthur Bowers. We've found this to be rather inferior & not as good
as it used to be.

Kind regards

mrcpea

This compost business is all crap, *Get down to your local recycle
centre and see if they sell it there. Our's sells it for £2/ big bag.

It's rough stuff full of little bits of wood etc. *However, I riddle
it and add sand as neccessary. *Works out at a fraction of the cost.
I get a ton bag of sand from the builders merchant, lasts for years.

If you want to get really technical:http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/John_Innes_compost

I made that mistake a few years ago. Bought some from my local Council
Recycling Centre to improve the soil for my runner beans. I then got a
virus, (Verticillium Wilt) in my beans that ruined them and is
impossible to cure according to expert at my local Horticultural
Merchants. The ground is now permanently infected. As there is access
to the recycling centre for many commercial growers in the Evesham
area I reckon someone dumped a load of virus ridden runner beans there
and they got composted. Composting does not get rid of virus. I cannot
grow runner beans at all now. Everything gets infected, ground, tools,
boots. Wont use it again.

Bookworm