Old 30-05-2011, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Compost question

On Mon, 30 May 2011 12:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

In all the books and papers I have read, it seems that the only reason
to avoid adding meat scraps to a compost pile is to not attract
unwanted critters like possums and raccoons. Is this the case? Or is
there a biological reason not to add animal matter to a compost pile?

Meat takes about ten times as long as vegetable matter to compost and
during all that time ROTTING MEAT STINKS. My composter is too great a
distance from neighbors for them to smell it but still I don't want to
smell rotting meat either. Meat composts far more efficiently inside
carnivores, I feed meat scraps to crows and other carrion eaters who
in return fertilize my property. I save larger quantities of meat
trimmings in my freezer for feeding birds during winter.