Old 30-05-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Bee-keeping; potential nuisance to neighbours?

wrote:
Corporal Jones wrote:
Obviously keep children away too. Or get them involved.
Educational.

What is it with Bee's and Wasps, they will only attack with the only
defence they have if threatened, most people flap around like a
demented rabbit so they defend themselves.

I have tried teaching this to my children, but to no avail. :-( I
think they see other kids over-reacting, where they've learnt it from
parents (mothers particularly) and they just copy.

Personally, when I was a child I accidentally did a cartwheel with my
hand on a bee (on the school field), and as I stood up it just got up
and flew away, no harm to anyone.

The last time I was stung by anything, it was by a dead wasp. It had got
into the living room, I swatted it, then couldn't see where it had gone.

Then I leaned on the arm of the heavily patterned sofa...

People really do overreact. Year before last I had a bumble bee nest in the
wall a few feet from my back door. One or two people I mentioned it to said
I ought to call pest control! I was just delighted to watch them coming and
going. It's not like they want to go around stinging people, is it?

Ian