Old 30-05-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Multi Purpose Compost

stuart noble wrote:
All multi-purpose composts 'run out of steam' after 6-8 weeks

But I have proved to my own satisfaction that this is fundamentally
untrue. What you're supposedly left with after the nutrients have been
used is never explained. All I can say is that every flower I've grown
in "spent" compost has flourished, and must be feeding on something.

I've found the best re-cycle of compost is to use grow-bags (last year's
were peat free, which were fine, but we couldn't find them this year, so
Nick put his foot down!), then use the grow-bag compost next year for plant
pots that are staying out of the greenhouse, or to throw the content onto
the strawberries in the garden. A few years of emptying grow bags onto
that side of the garden has hugely improved the soil!