Old 30-05-2011, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Bee-keeping; potential nuisance to neighbours?

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
On 29/05/2011 18:59, harry wrote:
On May 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I have a long garden and
local beekeeper is hoping I'll allow him to keep bees on the land. (I
could
use a bit of extra income). However, I am just wondering if his ten
hives
would create a nuisance for my neighbours. There is one neighbour whose
garden is a mere 12 metres from where the hives will be located.

Many thanks,

Al

BTW, the temperament of bees is variable. Some are quite aggressive,
some are docile. Different breeds you see. Like dogs.
Keep animals away from the hives, they may get attacked, even killed.
They go for the eyes and nose.
Ideal to keep the neighbour's cat away!
Obviously keep children away too. Or get them involved. Educational.

What is it with Bee's and Wasps, they will only attack with the only
defence they have if threatened, most people flap around like a demented
rabbit so they defend themselves.
Don't threaten them and they will get on with their daily business, more
so bee's, I am nearly 60 and never have I been stung, if one lands on me I
leave it alone until it fly's away or gently shoo it away,

In my experience Wasps ae considerably more malevolent than Bees and will
sting even if unprovoked.

Bill