Old 31-05-2011, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Multi Purpose Compost

On May 30, 8:47*pm, "Pete C" wrote:

On 2011-05-30 20:06:27 +0100, said:

stuart noble wrote:
All multi-purpose composts 'run out of steam' after 6-8 weeks
But I have proved to my own satisfaction that this is fundamentally
untrue. What you're supposedly left with after the nutrients have been
used is never explained. All I can say is that every flower I've grown
in "spent" compost has flourished, and must be feeding on something.

I've found the best re-cycle of compost is to use grow-bags (last year's
were peat free, which were fine, but we couldn't find them this year, so
Nick put his foot down!), then use the grow-bag compost next year for
plant
pots that are staying out of the greenhouse, or to throw the content onto
the strawberries in the garden. * A few years of emptying grow bags onto
that side of the garden has hugely improved the soil!

We do that here with peat bags used for rowing e.g. our own tomatoes, or
indeed, any large quantities of compost used for raising seedlings or
plugs. *It's a great soil improver.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I spread and rotovated in several bags of last years compost from pots at
home into my allotment beds today. Maybe the nutriants are gone, but it
improves the heavy clay soil.
--
Pete C- Hide quoted text -

Get a truckload of sand and rotovate that into the clay. The benefit
is permanent.

I have long agricultural hedges. I shred all the cuttings up and
compost them too. Takes me several days.