Old 31-05-2011, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default sharpening secateurs

On May 30, 7:35*pm, Emery Davis wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to sharpen up my faithful Felco #2 secateurs, what's the best
method?

Thanks,

-E

Take them apart and sharpen with oil stone or fine file if really bad.
NOT on the faces.
The blades have a designed twist and bend. As they close, only one
point is in contact at any one time (right on the cutting edge). This
point moves along the blade as it closes.
You need to check that this is still the case. If they have
been"forced" in the past the blade can distort. The cutting edges
need to be in contact, not the faces.
The blades may be "hollow ground" too. This compensates for wear on
the faces next to the cutting edge.
The twist and bend can be re-established in the vice with a bit of
persuasion. On good one it will probably be OK the cheapies bend apart
with use.

If you can't re-establish this geometry, it will never cut like new.