Old 31-05-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Runner beans?

On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:05:34 GMT, Baz wrote:

"alan.holmes" wrote in news:VMSEp.19878
:

I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Alan

Runner beans IME are the most stubborn of things, but they usually appear.
Some within days and others in weeks, but they do show.
I do mine indoors now in 3"pots then plant out. Hassle I know but it takes
the uncertaincy out of it all.
Its not too late to try, they will catch up.
I always soak beans and peas overnight prior to sowing and am convinced it
helps germination.

Best wishes with it all and fingers crossed you will have 20 bean plants
crawling up your canes (if you know what I mean)

Baz

Hey Baz. I never soaked runner bean seeds before sowing as I've read
in loads of places that this encourages halo blight later on. What's
your experience of that problem? Have you proved the so called
eggspurts wrong?

Up at the allotment, there have been a few moaning about poor bean
germination - seems one of the group went somewhere and bought a mass
of seeds and shared them out. Sounds like a duff batch of seeds. My
mate started too late to join this group so got his own and they're
looking fine.

Cheers
Jake