Old 31-05-2011, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] news@benevolent.org.uk is offline

Default Multi Purpose Compost

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

I think that is a problem we are all having, always used Levingtons but
the last lot of that I bought had mouldy bits in it, non-sterilised
composted waste I suspect.
Used a "John Innes" this year and it's worked better although I have
mixed it with other stuff depending on what I'm potting up.

I have come across some dreadful stuff in the last couple of years,
including Bowers - frequently mouldy with large bits of something very
odd looking.

Westland multi-purpose seems good this year (where I get it from,
anyway. It looks very similar to moss peat and is a good consistency -
but I don't know if this is because it has a lot of peat in).

But I tend to then mix it pretty much half and half with JI #3 - and
depending on what's being planted, add nothing, perlite, sand or grit
(and occasionally water retaining gel).

--
regards andyw