Old 31-05-2011, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Runner beans?

On May 31, 4:52*pm, Baz wrote:
Judith wrote :

On 30 May 2011 21:30:04 GMT, wrote:

alan.holmes wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come
up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? *Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I started mine off in the unheated greenhouse. *Three of mine also
came through quite quickly - but the rest took ages; I have no idea
why - much longer than normal. *They were Thomson & Morgan Red Rum.

Red Rum started a bit slow but was a winner twice.

Baz

With things like Peas, Beans and hard seed like Sweet peas etc I soak
the sees, starting in hand hot water and leting it cool, the heat
expands the air inside the seed coat and as the water cools water is
drawn in, that wat I get around 90%+ taking in water, The beans I
started in pots and the peas were sown into the ground as more rain
was forecast, they should be up in another 2 or 3 days, the beans were
planted out just when the strong winds started, but looking at them
today they are just starting to climb, the sweet peas were late, (as
were the ordinary peas) so are just comming through, well one lot
started through 4 days ago and Snoopy are only starting in the last 24
hours, all treated the same and sown at the same time.
I'd sow more beans in pots and use them to Gap up / grow on a bit
later to extend your picking season.