Old 31-05-2011, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat deterrent

wrote in message
In article , Jake
writes

Today he earned some extra treats - he rang his doorbell (that's
another story) and sat proudly as the door was opened and he displayed
the dead rat he'd brought home. A clean kill - he kills rats and moles
with a single bite wound across the back of the neck but carefully
carries the occasional mouse or shrew back for us to chase around the
house and they rarely have a wound!

Ours - a beaut of a bengal - was neutered around 8 months old. He is a
big boy - and heaven knows how big he would have got if we hadn't removed
his bits. (In fact, the bit where his bits were seems bigger than most
cat's bit bags). He terrifies our other timid little tabby but is ok with
the local neighbour catsand positively loves humans. Anything else feline
he doesn't tolerate.

His favourite treat atm is rabbits - well, large-ish young bunnies,
really. He usually brings them back unharmed in order to provide us with
the entertainment and exercise of spending ages chasing round the rooms to
catch and release. (Followed by the long walk across the field to a briar
patch

Sometimes, however, they get seriously discombobulated. Actually, its
usually the head that gets discom-ulated, rather than the bob. But they
are definitely confused following his attentions. Occasionally a leg gets
separated too. Not too lucky for bunny.

Even though he's neutered, he's out most nights from spring - and comes in
extremely keen to tell us all about it (read 'to wake us up') sometime
between 5 and 7 am.

That said, all he has brought back (that we see) are rabbits and rats - so
it could be worse.

--

No one needs to apologise for having a cat. Mine is very useful killing
mice & little rats around my chicken huts