Old 31-05-2011, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default brambles growing in lawn

On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:30:29 +0000, shopgirl771
wrote:

hi all.
first time posting here and very much a gardening novice.
im hoping some helpful soul might have some tips on how i can get rid of
the brambles ive got sprouting up all over my lawn.
at present i just keep cutting them down and spraying the area/top of
root with roundup or weedol but they keep growing back

Read the instructions! Plants absorb glyphosate through the leaves, so
if you cut them back before spraying, all you'll do is kill grass.

You can dig out the central crown of each little bramble if you have
the patience. I once turned a fair-sized patch of brambles into a lawn
without using weedkiller at all. But if you want to use the chemical,
let them grow some nice fresh leaves. Only then cut slots in some
pieces of cardboard or plastic, slip them underneath to protect the
grass, and spray, or apply with a paintbrush.

You'll probably need to repeat the treatment, and you'll get some new
ones germinating from seeds left behind by the old plants, but it's a
winnable battle, I promise you.

--
Mike.