Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Slugs

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

When youčre down to only a few slugs, you can fall back on the
traditional organic control, which is to trap them with beer. Put an
inch or so of any beer in a cup, bury it in the garden nearly to the
rim, and collect your drowned slugs in the morning. Or, put some beer
in
plastic drink bottles and lay them on their sides in the garden. The
slugs will crawl in and drown.

As I understand it, it's not drowning, it's the yeast. I'd always
thought
that the yeast acts as a poison for slugs and snails so you dont' need
huge
amounts of it. The dregs from the bottom of a bottle of beer that has
been
drunk is enough. I've never used a lot of beer and still the snails have
died (and not whilst in the the liquid, but near it). Now you've got me
wondering about what it is about the beer and yeast spreads that works.

Do you mean the little "fun-guys", themselves, or chemicals that they
produce, like ethanol? Unlike Coopers, I'm not familiar with any USian
beers that are "krausened" (leaving yeast in the bottle).

I've never had good luck using beer on snails and slugs. Maybe it is the
lack of yeast in the beer, or that most USian beer is so highly
processed, that our "refined" European snails may not recognize it as
beer. Micro-brewery beers, on the other hand, are too good, and too
expensive to put out for the marauding gangs of gastropods that used to
menace my garden.

I've seen very few slugs and snail this wet spring (19C and rain today).
When I put a plant in the ground now, it is still there the next day,
not just a green stump where the plant used to be. This I attribute to
my reliance on ferric phosphate (iron phosphate) baits.

:-)) Perhaps you need to go buy some Vegemite or Marmite or Promite :-)))))
If you don't like the taste of it on your toast, (and anyone with any degree
of discernment, style and class will of course like it on their toast) you
can use it on the gastropods.