Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Lawn Mowers

On May 31, 6:18*pm, Mike_stone
wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have a freshly laid lawn using pretty good turf. *Can anyone recommend
a decent lawnmower and should I take any precautions before I cut for
the first time? ie should I wait for a while for the turf to become
established? I assume a drive on mower would not be best used just yet.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

--
Mike_stone

Several questions to ask yourself.
How long do you want to spend mowing each week of the growing season.
I would suggest much more than 3/4 hour to an hour and it becomes a
burden so choose the size accordingly.
How much time and money do you have for scarifying, feeding, pest and
disease control etc - if the answer's little or none then forget
superfine lawn and go for an ordinary domestic lawn. This answer will
also decide you on whether you go for a cylinder mower for the best
lawns or rotary for the rest.
Forget the mulching mowers unless you live in a very dry area.
Most ride-on mowers for domestic lawns are slow expensive cheaply made
toys.
Good names - Honda, Hayter, Atco (their better cylinder mowers and
rotaries) In general you get what you pay for. High end mowers
Ransomes, Toro etc.
Choose well known engines like Briggs & Stratton, Honda, Kawazaki etc
and you'll have less difficulty with servicing and spares.
Keep out of the DIY sheds - go to a proper dealer who can advise you
and look after your machine for you.
Whatever machine you choose, just remember it's plants you're cutting
and they can't survive repeatedly losing most or all of their green
leaves so to keep it green and strong don't scalp it, cut a bit higher
than your neighbours do but cut frequently.

Rod