Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Puzzledmonkey Puzzledmonkey is offline
Registered User

Default Monkey Puzzle Tree

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I'm a complete gardening novice, having totally re-landscaped our gardens over the last 12 months. I've planted trees and shrubs here there and everywhere with no thought or knowledge of what hould be where, so please forgive me,

But to my problem, i've purchased a small (2ft) monkey puzzle tree, which i'd planned to plant as a feature on a small area, which is banked with railway sleepers at the front, and barked so there is nothing else growing within 6ft.

Although the spot i have earmarked for the tree is partially over-hung by a very mature oak tree. The branches are still some 12/15ft off the ground.

Having researched the best i can over the web, i'm worried that the MP tree will soon be to big for the spot. Am i therefore better off submerging a large plant pot (how big?) in the ground, to restrict the growth of the tree, and to allow me to easily move it in x number of years time?

If i think that the tree can comfortably grow to 8ft in height before it starts to look out of place, how many years will this take (10 years ?) and therefore how big of a pot do i need to submerge to allow the tree to grow freely to that size?

Sorry for so many questions, but any help is appreciated.
Puzzledmonkey