Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Pole bean questions

said:

Am going to try growing some pole lima beans....I have 2 types - King

of
the Garden + Christmas ...... Have about 32' X 4' area along a fence, so
two rows.... Question....

How tall should trellis be?

As high as you can reach, no taller and no shorter.

If you made it as tall as they were able to grow, you'd need a ladder
to pick them. But make it as tall as you dare, otherwise there is too
much flop-over.

Do I need to inoculate lima beans? Where to buy inoculant? How does
one inoculate lima beans?

If your soil has never been innoculated it *may* be *slightly* worth
the money to get some but if you already have the seed, don't bother.
You would probably have to get it mail order; I don't believe I have
seen any recently in any garden center. You can sprinkle it in the
furrow before you put in the seeds.

Have lots of composted cow manure.......would this work with lima

beans?

Sure!
--
Pat in Plymouth MI