Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Geranium cuttings

On Jun 2, 7:44*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
coykiesaol wrote:
I love white geraiums and last year I had some pure white plants from
a supermarket. I liked them so much I decided to take 10 cuttings last
September over winter them in my glass verander and plant them out
this year. All 10 cuttings survived ok and I have planted them into
my garden expecting them to be pure white as last year. They have
flowered a very pale pink, can anyone explain this?

I don't know about geraniums specifically but the colour of plant leaves and
flowers can change with the environment. *Two factors that I know of are
colour changes due to different soil pH and different lighting, there may be
other factors I am not aware of.

One funny case I know of was a coleus that was grown in a pot in an office,
it sat on top of a filing cabinet under a fluorescent light and prospered,
it looked great having remarkable bright lime green leaves. *This plant was
greatly admired and so one worker asked the owner if they could take
cuttings. *The cuttings were taken and struck in small pots and then planted
out in the garden. *The folliage was varigated dark green and purple, that
same as many common varieties and not at all remarkable.

David

I go with pH too. Don't know about geraniums but pH does effect
hydrangea color.