Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Spiraea Behaviour

In my front "garden" (it's a bed that faces onto the council's grass kind of
thing) I have a Spiraea "Japonica Firelight". It says on the tin that it's a
shrub and the internet describes it as "upright", but looking at it
yesterday while I was weeding and stuff like that, it's... I can't think of
a good word. Kind of "sprawling" rather than an upright shrubby shape. Will
the stems get harder and support a "shape" as it gets more mature? Should I
cut it to a particular shape? I can't quite describe what I mean, but it
looks at the moment like it wants to just sprawl along the ground rather
than grow up. It's not very big at the moment, about two foot across.

Ian