Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default how long between applying glyphosate and chopping?

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 23:29:46 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi All
we & the neighbours have a Jerusalem Vine (not sure if that's the
correct name, but never mind) growing between our gardens which I'd like to
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it via our side of the
fence but I don't want to start going round their side too much to get at
where the lower parts originate.

I am planning to spray the parts which overhang our garden with with
Glyphosate, but I would also like to subsequently cut back as much of the
overhanging vine as possible.

How long should I wait after spraying before cutting back? That is, how
quickly will the Glyphosate travel back to the rest of the plan and do its
nasty business. A day? couple of days? or should I wait a week or so until
it's actually dying off?

Thanks
J^n

The simple answer to your question is to spray, wait until the above
ground growth is dead, then wait about another week or so and chop.
The "another week" allows for the glyphoasate getting properly where
it's got to go. Above ground may well die before the roots have been
attacked properly.

FWIW, I've found that if you get the "pure" glyphosate (you'll find
Bayer Glyphosate all over the place and it's usually cheaper if you
buy it by the 500ml bottle rather than the sachet packs) it'll work
quicker than the various products that contain it.

Jake