Old 02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
godkingross godkingross is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coykiesaol View Post
Hello everyone

Over the last few weeks it's become apparent that I have some potatoes growing in my border. I can only assume that the previous tenant may have chucked a load of old potatoes out at some time and they are now growing.

Will these be ok to eat? How can you tell?

I am growing my own potatoes at the moment in a couple of bags on the patio and they seem to be doing well. It would be interesting to compare mine with these "wild" ones but I don't want to risk eating them if they could be potentially be harmful.

Thanks
I could not advise you to eat them, although i'll tell you i'd probably eat them unless they're growing near spilt oil or chemicals, a septic tank, stagnant water, some animal/s corpse/s or fresh animal feces, because i'm so tight-fisted.
I suppose they COULD be potentially be harmful... you never know what the previous tenants have chucked in that soil, but that'd still be the case if you'd have decided to grow your own potatoes in there. but i suppose as the e coli outbreak in Europe proves, shop bought veggies COULD be potentially harmful too.