Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 AM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone70 View Post
Hello there,
A group of friends and I have been gradually chopping down some Cypress trees in my garden under instruction from my insurance company as they're causing subsidence in my house. We've been battling away with bow saws and even a hack saw and progress seems slow. From the start I was looking to get them down extremely cheaply and not involve expensive tree fellers costing me hundreds of pounds which I can ill afford. Chainsaws were mentioned but i'm looking for a more manual angle. The bow saws we have seem to take forever to slice through the bark, could anyone recommend something that could get the job done quicker, bearing in mind nothing electrical! Someone at work mentioned a 'tree saw' which is tougher than a bow saw, but I can't seem to find this tool. Would an axe do the trick? Diesel in the bark (drastic last resort if bow saw's the only option!)? Any tool that can slice through the bark quicker than a bow saw and get the job done in half the time would be exceedingly handy. Any ideas?
Cheers for your help!
Hi Tone, It sounds to me like the bowsaw you are using is either very blunt or has a cheap blade ?? I would go to a hardware store and buy a new one, they are not very expensive ! and get one thats about 20" long, it will be much easier to use. I'm a professional gardener and whilst I have all manner of equipment, I still like using my bowsaw, I find it very useful especially when up a tree.
One word of warning, please stay away from chainsaws if you dont know what your doing, they are good tools but they demand the upmost respect and you need to have not only confidence but a high skill level to use one safely, especially if there are other people around you !
A good bowsaw will cut through cypress trees very easily !
Lannerman.